Social Icons

Thursday, October 18, 2012

MG Destiny Gundam

So I'm done with this kit. Took some time today to take some quick photos of it under sunlight.
Did a super simple idiot proof printout for the display base, picture taken from the internet.

Just a recap of what I've done to the kit.
- Lengthen back of head
- Torso height increased
- Panel line scribing
- Replaced some details with pla-plates (arm / knee / ankle areas)

Paints used:
Blue - Cobalt Blue + White + Fluorescent Pink
Light Blue - White + Cobalt Blue
White - Gray FS16440 + White + Black
Red - Madder Red + Super Italian Red
Green - Russian Green 2
Yellow - Orange Yellow
Black - Gloss Black

Onwards to my next kit.....

Saturday, October 13, 2012

[WIP] MG Destiny Gundam Part 3

Did some airbrushing of colors over the past few days +  a short holiday trip.
Since the Extreme Burst Mode Destiny has a chrome silver inner frame and the normal version has a normal grey inner frame, I decided to go somewhat in between using Burnt Iron.  Also it will complement Strike Freedom's gold frame and Infinite Justice silver frame quite nicely.

Next comes the main body colors. I noticed the 'white' parts are not exactly white or grey, instead having a some greenish or yellowish tone. So had to mix some paints to get something similar, I settled for a beige color.

The blue parts, At first, I used mixture of cobalt blue + white, but I found it too dark, not really matching the other colors. So resprayed using another cobalt blue + white + fluorescent pink mixture to get the slight purplish tone. As for the lighter shade of blue for the front chest piece and sword, just add blue to white until I get the correct color. Gloss black for the black parts.

Then the red areas. Straight airbrushed without mixing. Tricky part was the masking of the wing vents to paint the internals grey.

More masking of parts to paint the grey internals. Front and back waist skirt parts, backpack and shoulder vents.

Almost done with painting soon, left to paint the green cannon and some minor details.

Bought decals by Bandai for MG Destiny. Spent some time decaling and gloss coat over whole kit to protect decals, panel lines done as well. Then pluck out everything again except the inner frame for a final flat coat to seal everything in. (Left: Before, Right: After)

Friday, October 5, 2012

[WIP] MG Destiny Gundam Part 2

Some more work done on the kit in the past few days.
Arm section. Sliced away the small protrusion then slap on some pla plate designs.

Waist section, nothing much done, just add panel lines to the front skirt pieces and pla plates to the side skirts. Left the back skirt pieces as it is .

For the leg section, bulk up the knee armor a little using pla plates, added more pla plate shapes to the lower knee part.

Panel line scribing at lower leg region. Redid the ankle piece, same method as the arm area, sliced away the protrusion and rework using pla plates.
Backpack nothing added. Weapons seamlines cleared. Just some panel lining on the wings so it doesn't look too plain.

[Review] 1/100 MsB Freedom Conversion

A short review of MG Freedom Gundam conversion kit from MS-Build (originally was VP, then changed name to MS-Build). As a sucker for Seed kits, I got the recasted version.

Package content:
- 2 packets of parts, each separated into different small compartments.
- 2 colored photos
- 1 instruction manual (color printed!!!)
- 1 water slide decal sheet

Photos are crystal clear, superb quality! Instruction manual clearly printed and with color, decals nicely printed as well, but I think I'll be using another set.

Removed nubs from most parts, washed and laid out.
Parts count: 67 parts.

Most parts replace the stock kit parts to improve details.
Starting from the top, whole head replaced including the v-fin. New head smaller. I shortened the v-fin by a little as well.

Torso region. Front chest part replaced with 3 resin pieces. Details improved. I like the more angular look to the cockpit cover rather than the stock rounded one.

Shoulder and arm region. Whole shoulder and most of arm parts replaced. Resin hands are smaller and of fixed pose.

Waist region mostly replaced as well.

Leg and feet region. Lower leg region was extended, knee and lower leg parts replaced. New resin feet longer, look more sleek.

Weapons, beam saber replaced by resin piece, given a clear effect part for the beam saber. Beam rifle cover also replaced.

As for the backpack, it still uses the stock backpack with the wings and back cannon.
What it should look like after assembling together.

Thanks for looking!