Social Icons

Sunday, December 30, 2012

[WIP] 1/100 VP Strike Freedom Part 1

Did a review for this conversion kit earlier this year: VP Strike Freedom Review
While waiting for decals for MsB Freedom Gundam, I thought I should get started on this project. Consider it a start into year 2013!

Heads up! Compared to the stock head, chin is slightly longer, face is pushed more inwards.

Torso changes. Whole thing literally replaced except for the back, some sawing of the stock parts required to fit the new pieces.

Shoulder and arms parts all replaced as well. A whole lot more details in resin pieces.

Front and back skirt pieces replaced. Waist rail gun also replaced, resin pieces here quite a number of problems.

Leg area, whole thigh and lower leg replaced. Most edges sharpened.

Feet and ankle guard replaced. Slightly longer and more angular, protruding details at bottom of feet.

With that, dry fitted the whole thing again, parts held together by blu tack and masking tape.

Up next, washing of parts and dealing with problem areas...

Thursday, November 15, 2012

[WIP] MsB Freedom Gundam Part 2

Filled and sanded areas that required fixing.
Long seamlines on wings and waist cannons, cleared as well.

Priming done! Looking great!!

White parts painted.

Blue parts, custom blue paint mix.

Masking madness!!! Time spent masking worthwhile when the masking tape comes off. Need just a little bit of touching up.

Fitted everything together to see! Need to take it apart again for panel line, decal, flat coat.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

MG Destiny Gundam

So I'm done with this kit. Took some time today to take some quick photos of it under sunlight.
Did a super simple idiot proof printout for the display base, picture taken from the internet.

Just a recap of what I've done to the kit.
- Lengthen back of head
- Torso height increased
- Panel line scribing
- Replaced some details with pla-plates (arm / knee / ankle areas)

Paints used:
Blue - Cobalt Blue + White + Fluorescent Pink
Light Blue - White + Cobalt Blue
White - Gray FS16440 + White + Black
Red - Madder Red + Super Italian Red
Green - Russian Green 2
Yellow - Orange Yellow
Black - Gloss Black

Onwards to my next kit.....

Saturday, October 13, 2012

[WIP] MG Destiny Gundam Part 3

Did some airbrushing of colors over the past few days +  a short holiday trip.
Since the Extreme Burst Mode Destiny has a chrome silver inner frame and the normal version has a normal grey inner frame, I decided to go somewhat in between using Burnt Iron.  Also it will complement Strike Freedom's gold frame and Infinite Justice silver frame quite nicely.

Next comes the main body colors. I noticed the 'white' parts are not exactly white or grey, instead having a some greenish or yellowish tone. So had to mix some paints to get something similar, I settled for a beige color.

The blue parts, At first, I used mixture of cobalt blue + white, but I found it too dark, not really matching the other colors. So resprayed using another cobalt blue + white + fluorescent pink mixture to get the slight purplish tone. As for the lighter shade of blue for the front chest piece and sword, just add blue to white until I get the correct color. Gloss black for the black parts.

Then the red areas. Straight airbrushed without mixing. Tricky part was the masking of the wing vents to paint the internals grey.

More masking of parts to paint the grey internals. Front and back waist skirt parts, backpack and shoulder vents.

Almost done with painting soon, left to paint the green cannon and some minor details.

Bought decals by Bandai for MG Destiny. Spent some time decaling and gloss coat over whole kit to protect decals, panel lines done as well. Then pluck out everything again except the inner frame for a final flat coat to seal everything in. (Left: Before, Right: After)