Social Icons

Sunday, January 11, 2009

1/72 Academy F-14A WIP

Hi guys, I decided to start on this kit today. I still have 1 more in my stash, since I got it dirt cheap. Anyway, I read online that this Academy version is somewhat a copy of the Fujimi kit but with less details (well I wouldn't know since this is the only 72nd scale Tomcat that I have).

Anyway, construction always begins with the cockpit. The cockpit isn't really well-detailed, at least the kit provided decals for the control panels. However, I find the ejection seat pretty detailed, unlike the bare/basic type which other kits provide. This one had seat belts molded on, the 2 rings on top (i dunno what is the name for those), in fact the ejection seat is made up of 4 parts! The cockpit tub was sprayed in gray color, then decals for the controls were done. Ejection seats were painted, dry-brushed with silver. I was pretty satisfied with the overall look of the cockpit.

Update!!! - Continued with fitting, manages to fit the top and lower halve of the body together, fitting was ok, putty needed at some parts. Fitted the front section to the fuselage, bad bad fitting, alignment problem resulting in slight step. Intakes also glued in place, alignment also problematic resulting in slight step. Problems were tackled with putty, lots of it. Rescribed the whole plane, including the wings because I find the existing panel lines too shallow, took me about 2 days to rescribe the whole kit. Next, I sprayed the white areas.

Update!! - Pre-shaded whole kit, sprayed the front black triangle. Sprayed main color H315, painted silver edges on wings and tail fins. Attached landing gears. Canopy unmasked, luckily no bleeding, cleared up masking tape residue with lighter fluid, no bad effect on clear part due to future coating.

No comments:

Post a Comment